Welcome to Class 9!
Welcome to class 9. We are a Year 4 class and our teacher is Mrs Egglestone. We enjoy working hard and becoming confident learners who are excited by new challenges and opportunities.
Our first topic is ‘How have books changed through history?’ In this topic we will learn about aincient civilizations and the impact they have had on modern life. In Geography we completing a fieldwork study of our local area. We will also take part in the John Muir Award scheme, taking part in nature activites in our local area. We will be looking at paintings of cities and towns in art and having a go at our own paintings. In English read the story ‘Voices in the Park’ By Anthony Browne. Our Science work will be learning about the digestive system and animal food chains.
During the Spring term we will be doing a local history study around the coal mines and what happened to them. We will also be studying our local area in Geography and comparing it to a traditional mining village. In Art we will look at the artist Norman Cornish who was a pitman painter. Our science will be looking at electricity and so we will design a product to use an alarm or a light in Design and Technology.
In the summer term we will be asking the question ‘What is democracy and where did it come from?’ To answer this we will look at the Ancient Greeks, and their influence of the modern world. We will also study more recent changes in democracy including the suffragette movement. We will study food which Greeks enjoy for our Design and Technology and in Art, we will be creating Greek vases using clay. Our Geography will be looking at ‘Why do so many people go to the Mediterranean for their holidays?’ In English we will look at Greek myths and legends. Science this term will be Sound.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.