Welcome to Class 8!
Welcome to class 8. We are a Year 4 class and our teacher is Mrs Egglestone. We enjoy working hard and becoming confident learners who are excited by new challenges and opportunities. We are very excited to be spending another year together!
Our first topic is ‘Were the Vikings always vicious and victorious?’ In this topic we will learn about the Vikings and discover when and how they invaded Britain. . In Geography we will be thinking about where you would choose to build a city linking to settlements and land use. We will be looking at paintings of cities and towns in art and having a go at our own paintings. In English we will be doing some non-fiction writing based upon our learning of the Vikings, we will also read the story ‘Voices in the Park’ By Anthony Browne. Our Science work will be learning about the digestive system and animal food chains.
During the Spring term we will be doing a local history study around the coal mines and what happened to them. We will also be studying our local area in Geography and comparing it to a traditional mining village. In Art we will look at the artist Norman Cornish who was a pitman painter. Our science will be looking at electricity and so we will design a product to use an alarm or a light in Design and Technology.
In the summer term we will be asking the question ‘What is democracy and where did it come from?’ To answer this we will look at the Ancient Greeks, and their influence of the modern world. We will also study more recent changes in democracy including the suffragette movement. We will study food which Greeks enjoy for our Design and Technology and in Art, we will be creating Greek vases using clay. Our Geography will be looking at ‘Why do so many people go to the Mediterranean for their holidays?’ In English we will look at Greek myths and legends. Science this term will be Sound.
- PE will usually be on a Friday. Children should come to school in their PE kit on that day and ensure any ear-rings are removed or taped over.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- Due to the continued situation with COVID-19 we are asking children not to bring bags or items from home into school.
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- At present we are unable to send reading books home, please continue to encourage your child to read at least 3 times per week.
- From September 2020 we will be using Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. For more information please click here
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here