Welcome to Class 8!
Hello everyone! Welcome to Class 8! Miss. Holcroft and I are really looking forward to a super year ahead with our mixed Year 3 and Year 4 class. We have lots of interesting things to learn about this year and will hopefully be going on some exciting educational visits too! Our PE day will be a Thursday so please come to school wearing your PE uniform on that day.
This term we will be looking at the skills of a geographer and taking part in lots of fieldwork. We will also be studying how books have changed throughout the ages and will be completing our first Independent Learning Project on this theme. In Science, we will be looking at Animals including Humans and also Forces and Magnets. We will be constructing our very own Marble-Runs in Design and Technology and studying how Cities and Towns are depicted in Art. In Computing we will be practicing our Word Processing skills and then moving onto Computer Programming. We will also be studying The Firework Makers Daughter by Phillip Pullman and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
During the Spring Term, we will be comparing Peterlee as a new town, to an older mining village. We will be carrying out this term’s Independent Learning Project on this topic. In History, we will be learning about what happened to Durham’s coal mines. In Science, we will be studying Living things and their Habitats as well as Plants – hopefully planting some seeds of our own! In PE we will be studying Dance and Gymnastics and in French we will be learning how to count to 100, along with vocabulary associated with visiting the farm! What a busy term!
During our final term we will be thinking about the continent of Europe and learning about Greek myths. We will be exploring States of Matter and Sound in Science and investigating different Sculptures in Art. We look forward to learning about Peace in RE and will be taking part in a celebration of Diversity as a whole school event. We will continue to explore different issues in PSHE/RSE and use our Philosophy for Children discussions to explore different topics which are important to us as a Rights Respecting School.
We are looking forward to a great year! From Mrs Hext
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.