Welcome to Class 8!
We are a Year 3/4 class. Mrs McCoy and Mrs Sinclair work in our class. We all work together, to create a positive and happy learning environment which encourages independence, resilience and super learning! We are looking forward to lots of exciting learning together in our new classroom!
This term we will be looking at the skills of a geographer and taking part in lots of fieldwork. Our History work will focus on who first lived in Britain as we find out about the changes from the Stone Age to the Iron Age. We will be designing and constructing our own Stone Age dwellings in DT. This will also be the theme for our first Independent Learning Project. In Science, we will be looking at animals including humans and also sound. We will be developing our drawing skills in Art as we draw for different purposes, such as cartoons and sketches. In Computing we will continue to develop our word processing skills and will explore how computers have made a difference to animation. We will be studying aspects of Hinduism and Christianity in RE.
In Geography we will be finding out about volcanoes and earthquakes, a very exciting topic! In History, we will be learning about the impact the Romans had on Britain. We will explore how the Romans used mosaics in Art and in DT we will be designing and making Roman aqueducts. Our Science work will focus on how we can make materials into solids, liquids and gases and we will also study rocks. In Computing we will be developing our understanding of online safety and computer science. In RE we will explore pilgrimages and aspects of Christianity associated with Easter. Our Independent Learning Project will be related to music as we explore how music makes the world a better place. Another busy term!
During our final term our Geography work will focus on the local area as we find out about the River Wear and consider why it is important to our region. We hope to visit the river to help us with our learning! Our History learning will be about the Anglo-Saxons and the impact they had on Britain. We will be exploring plants and living things and their habitats in Science which will give us lots of opportunities to use our wonderful outdoor learning areas. We will have lots of fun developing our painting skills in Art and in DT we will investigate different types of bread including some Anglo-Saxon recipes. We will continue to develop our understanding of Hinduism and diversity in RE. For our final Independent Learning Project we will explore links with RE as we find out how charity is supported in other communities. In Computing we will continue to develop our skills in computer science and will explore the use of digital photography.
What a busy year we have ahead of us! I am sure we are all looking forward to a great year in Class 8!
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.