Welcome to Class 6
Welcome to class 6! We are a mixed Year 2/3 class and our teacher is Mrs
Box. We are excited to move to our new classroom on the other side of the
building. We are looking forward to lots of fun learning and working hard
throughout the year to become confident, independent learners. We are so
thrilled to be spending another year together!
Our topic for this term is ‘Who first lived in Britain.’ We will be learning about
changes in Britain from the Stone Age to Iron Age. In English, we will be writing
stories and recounts around the Stone Age, beginning with Stone Age Boy. In
Design and Technology we will be making 3D model of an Iron Age tribal
In Geography, Year 2 will be will be looking at ‘What’s special about County
Durham,’ and Year 3 will be using 8 points of a compass as well as exploring
Ordnance Survey maps to name and locate counties and cities within the UK.
In Science, Year 2 will be learning about living things in their habitats, whilst
Year 3 will be learning about animals including humans.
During the Spring term our topic will be ‘How did the Roman Empire change
Britain?’ We will focus on the Roman Empire and its impact on Britain,
exploring why the Romans were so powerful and what we learned from them.
Through role play and drama we will explore persuasive scenarios and write a
persuasive text based on Roman times. In Art we will look at how the Romans
used mosaics and in Design and Technology we will learn how to make a
In Geography, Year 2 will explore Africa and describe similarities and
differences between Africa and the UK. Year 3 will explore ‘What makes the
earth angry?’ with a study of volcano’s, earthquakes and tsunami’s.
During our Science lessons, Year 2 will learn about materials and what John
McAdam discovered about them. Year 3 will focus on rocks and how the earth
In the summer term we will be studying what was life like in the North East
during Anglo Saxon times including a study of Lindisfarne and St. Cuthbert. We
will learn why bread is known as the ‘staff of life’ as well as making different
types of bread. In English we will write instructions for bread making as well as
writing a diary entry and letter based on Anglo Saxon times.
In Geography, Year 2 will explore the question ‘Why do we love to be beside
the seaside?’ They will identify seasonal and daily weather patterns in the UK
as well as exploring human and physical features of a small local area. Year 3
will study ‘Why is the River Tees or Wear important, including the water
In Science Year 2 will learn about plants and how we can grow our own salads.
Year 3 will learn about plants and bees plants and bees, investigating why
apples grow on trees and why bees are important to us all.
We are going to have a fantastic year!
- PE will usually be on a Tuesday. Children should come to school in their PE kit on that day and ensure any ear-rings are removed or taped over.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- Due to the continued situation with COVID-19 we are asking children not to bring bags or items from home into school.
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- At present we are unable to send reading books home, please continue to encourage your child to read at least 3 times per week.
- From September 2020 we will be using Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. For more information please click here
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here