Welcome to Class 5
Welcome to Class 5! My name is Mrs Scollen and I am the class teacher in class 5. Our teaching assistant is Mrs Hoyland. We are a Year 2 class and I am really looking forward to all of our fantastic learning this year!
This term we will be working hard on our reading and writing by looking at fairytales such as Little Red Riding Hood and Puss in Boots. In maths, we will be working really hard on our place value. Our history topic will be thinking about remembrance and learning about Guy Fawkes. We will discover the oceans, seas and islands of the world in Geography and using this to inspire our artwork. In science, we will be finding out about living things and their habitats and looking closely at materials and their properties. We will be looking at mechanisms in DT and creating our own moving picture book as well as learning about Christianity in RE.
In the spring term, we will be reading lots of books from different cultures. We will be doing lots of adding and subtracting in maths, learning new methods to help us. Our history topic will be looking at
how significant people can change the world. We will look at Malala Yousafzai and Rosa Parks. We will be thinking about what is special about where we live in geography, focusing on County Durham and the
Great Britain. Our science will look at what we need to stay healthy and how we can change materials to create new products. In Art we will create African patterns and we will learn to sew in our DT unit.
In the Summer term, we will focus our English work on texts such as George’s Marvelous Medicine as well as reading lots of other picture books. Our maths work will look at shapes and measures as well as
continuing with the four operations. In History, our unit of work will be looking at events within living memory where we will create our own museum in the classroom. Our geography will have a local focus where we will look closely at Castle Eden Dene and what we can find there. In science, we will look at growing edible plants and also microhabitats. We will be studying the artist Goldsworthy in art and designing and making kites in DT. Our RE will celebrate diversity with a whole school
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.