Welcome to Class 5
Welcome to Class 5! My name is Mrs Scollen and I am the class teacher in class 5. Our teaching assistant is Mrs Pearson. We are a Year 2 class and I am really looking forward to all of our fantastic learning this year!
This term we will be working hard on our reading and writing by looking at fairytales such as Little Red Riding Hood and Puss in Boots. In maths, we will be working really hard on our place value. Our history topic will be finding out about castles and focusing on Raby Castle in particular. We will be thinking about what is special about where we live in geography, focusing on County Durham and Great Britain. In science, we will be finding out about living things and their habitats and looking closely at materials and their properties. We will be looking at mechanisms in DT and creating our own moving picture book as well as learning about Christianity in RE. We will develop our drawing skills in art, focusing on observational drawing.
In the spring term, we will be reading lots of books from different cultures as well as some of Aesop’s fables. We will be working hard on our writing as we write recounts and stories. We will be doing lots of adding and subtracting in maths, learning new methods to help us. Our history topic will be looking at how significant people can change the world. We will look at Malala Yousafzai and Rosa Parks. This will also lead into our Geography work where we will be comparing the city where Malala originates from in Pakistan to Durham. Our science will look at what we need to stay healthy and how we can change materials to create new products. In Art we will develop our painting skills and we will learn how to sew in our DT unit.
In the Summer term, we will focus our English work on fantasy stories using the text ‘Tuesday’. Our maths work will look at time, shapes and measures as well as continuing with the four operations. In History, our unit of work will be looking at significant events and we will be learning all about the Titanic. We will discover the oceans, seas and islands of the world in Geography. In science, we will look at growing edible plants and also microhabitats. We will be finding out about sculptures in art and using clay to make our own. Our DT will be designing and making kites. We will learn about Buddhism in RE and find out how Buddhists are charitable within their community.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.