Welcome to Class 4!
Hello everyone and welcome to Class 4! We are a Year 1 class. Mrs. Hext, Mrs. Henry and Mrs. Hoyland work in our class. We are very much looking forward to a fantastic year together. We have lots of things to learn through some very exciting topics.
In Autumn term we will be learning lots about Space! In History, we will be learning about the first person to walk on the moon and in Design and Technology we will be making our very own space rockets! In Science we will be exploring our senses and then as the seasons begin to change, we will be learning about why it gets dark in Winter. As part of our Geography learning, we will study Great Britain and will learn about the countries, capitals and seas which surround them. In ICT, we will learn about how computers work and in in Art we will be practicing our drawing skills with a focus on our local area. In RE we will be studying different places of worship and as we move towards Christmas, we will explore the theme of ‘gifts’ in relation to Christianity.
We have lots of investigative work to do in Science this term. We will be exploring various materials trying to answer questions like, ‘Which materials could the three little pigs have used to build a house?’ and ‘What might aliens think of our things on Earth?’ In History, we will be learning about the Great Fire of London and thinking about what life must have been like during this period of time. In Geography this term, we are moving beyond the United Kingdom and we will be exploring places in our world which are hot and cold. In Art this term, we will be
practicing our painting skills and we will be designing and constructing a food container in Design and Technology. Our Music this term will link to our understanding of the world and how we communicate with our neighbours. In ICT we will map out routes for our Beebots.
In Geography this term, we are going to become meteorologists and create our own weather forecasts for the UK. As part of our Design and Technology, we are going to be making food for a summer picnic – fingers crossed for some sunshine for us to enjoy eating our creations! In History, we will be learning about how toys have changed since our Grandparents were young. In Art we will be studying the work of the artist, Wassily Kandinsky and experimenting with different media. This will also link with our ICT topic as we use software to make a digital painting. In Science we will be exploring and identifying the different plants we can find in our school grounds and we will also be learning about wild animals.
What an exciting year we are going to have!
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.