Welcome to Class 3.
This is a Year 1 class. Our teacher is Miss Elwick and Mrs Henry is our teaching assistant. We are going to have an exciting year together, with lots of interesting new topics to learn about!
During our first term together we will begin by exploring our five senses during our Science lessons, moving on to investigate seasonal changes. We’re going learn about the countries and capitals of the UK and identify some of our important landmarks. In our computing work we will concentrate on developing our keyboard skills and saving our work correctly. We’ll also be looking back into the past to find out who Neil Armstrong is and may even design and make our own rockets!
Our Science work will focus on naming and describing materials while we discover why they can be useful for different purposes. This should help us design and make our own lunch containers during our DT lessons. In our History topic we shall learn facts about the Great Fire of London and make observations about what happened and why. In Art we will explore colour mixing and how to use different tools to create different effects and textures with paint. We’re also going to be using maps to identify hot and cold parts of the world and discover what it is like in these places.
During our final term we will be identifying and sorting plants and animals based on their features. We will be investigating different types of weather and will help record daily changes in the weather we experience. We will research how toys and games have changed through the years, comparing what we play with today with toys our grandparents played with. Our Art lessons will focus on the work of Kandinsky and we will use his art to inspire us to make our own artwork while our DT lessons will help us develop the skills to make some picnic food!
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.