Welcome to Class 3.
We are a Year 1 class. Mrs Box and Mrs Sinclair work in our class. We all work together to create a positive and happy learning environment which encourages independence and resilience. We are looking forward to lots of exciting learning together in our new classroom!
During the autumn term, our history topic is ‘Who were the Ice Explorers?’ This exciting topic will take us on a journey to the Antarctic and up mountains! For Design and Technology, we will get the chance to design and make our very own boat. In English, we will be reading books by the author Beatrix Potter where we will learn about the adventures of Peter Rabbit and his friends. We will also be reading stories by Oliver Jeffers including Lost and Found. In Science Y1 will be exploring our five senses and will be asking the question ‘Why does it get dark early in winter?’ as we explore seasonal change. Our Geography work will include learning about the world and which places are hot and cold. We will be
developing our sketching skills in art and in French we will be learning how to greet people.
In the spring term, our history topic is ‘How was life different in my grandparent’s time?’ We will explore how school and entertainment has changed in recent years. In English we will be sharing stories such as The Three Little Pigs and The Tiger Who Came to Tea. Our Science work will focus on materials and why they are used for different purposes. In Geography, we will be asking ‘Could I be a meteorologist?’ as we look at seasonal and daily weather patterns. In Design technology we will be designing and making our lunch containers. We will learn how to mix different colours to show the different seasons in our art work and we will be learning how to count in French!
Our final history topic of the year during the summer term is ‘How were the coronations of Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Elizabeth II different?’ We will find out about life at the time of both coronations and how they were celebrated. In Design and Technology, we will get the chance to design and make our very own food for a street party. In English we will be basing our work on The Gingerbread Man and The Lighthouse Keeper’s Lunch. Our Science work will focus on plants and animals and their habitats. In Geography, we will be learning about the features of our locality and comparing them to different places around the world. We will also learn about the work of the artist Kandinsky and will be learning how
to say different colours in French. What a busy, exciting year we have ahead of us…we can’t wait!
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.