Welcome to Early Years – classes 1 and 2.
The Early Years Team are, Mrs Habicht and Miss Case; our class teachers and Mrs Lockey and Mrs Kay; our teaching assistants. Here you will find an overview of our year here in reception. We look forward to beginning our learning journey with you.
Autumn – Super Duper You!
In this term, we will get to know each other very well. We will explore how we are similar and different and what makes each of us unique. We will sing lots of rhymes and songs and share stories about families and communities. We will begin to explore numbers and take part in lots of practical activities. We will enjoy discovering all of the different areas EYFS has to offer working both indoors and outdoors. In this term, we will find out just how SUPER we are!
In the second half of this term, we will be exploring Earth and beyond, where we will begin to look closer at seasons, change in weather, space and how people celebrate events around the world.
Spring – Walking With Dinosaurs
In this term, we will continue to try hard learning and forming our sounds to enable us to begin reading and writing. We will continue working hard practically and mentally with numbers to 10. We will be using our funky fingers to create clay models of dinosaurs. This term, we are trying to understand the world around us past and present. In the second half term, we will be exploring ‘Machines and Me’, where we will identify different vehicles, inventions and a range of technology. We will use our creativity to design and make our very own vehicle. We will also explore people who help us within our community. By this stage we will begin writing our own words and short sentences independently.
Summer – Habitat Hunters
In the first half of this term, mini beasts are our stimulus. We will be looking closely at the natural world around us and the living things that live amongst us. We will show care towards plants and other living things and recognize their life cycles. In this term, we are becoming more independent and trying our best to gain resilience in our last term of Reception.
In the second half of summer term, we are ‘dreaming big’. Thinking about the type of person we are and the type of person we want to be. We will start thinking about what jobs we might do and what we want
to achieve by the end of our first year in primary school. We will look closely at traditional tales and make our dreams come true!
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- We use Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. Please ensure you are signed up to Class Dojo using the parent code provided. For more information please click here.
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here
- Teachers will update Class Dojo with details of your child’s PE day.
- Pupils should come to school appropriately dressed for P.E. in either school kit (red t-shirt, black shorts/leggings/trousers), or other suitable clothes including t-shirt, shorts or tracksuit bottoms that follow PE kit guidelines. Footwear can include plimsols, trainers or barefoot (depending on the suitability of the activity).
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- All children are provided with a red book bag which they should bring to school each day.
- Pupils are asked to read at least 3 times a week at home and should submit their reading diary via Class Dojo.