Welcome to Class 9!
Welcome to Class 9! I’m very happy that we’re all together again and I can’t wait to get started on all the exciting topics we’re going to do! We are a mixed Year Four and Five class and our teacher is Mrs Sands. We know that we need to work hard and practise our learning so that we improve and become more confident day by day. We always try our best and we always want to be the best that we can be.
In Autumn, we’re going to be studying Ancient Egypt in our History lessons. We’ll be learning all about what life was like then and we’ll make our own Canopic jars and Egyptian shadufs. We’ll be continuing with our number work in French and learn more about programming in Computing. We’ll be looking at the idea of ‘forgiveness’ in RE and in Music we’ll learn all about rock music. In Geography, Year Four will be learning about Europe and Year Five will be looking at the geography of the wider world. In Science we’ll be doing different work too, with Year Four learning about states of matter and the digestive system, and Year Five looking at materials and human growth and aging. Our English work will be based on my favourite ever story genres- mystery stories and ghost stories!
In the Spring term, our History topic will be World War II. We’re going to link this to our English work and use texts which tell us more about what life was like during the war. For the first time as a class, we’re going to be making food in Design and Technology when we make some food based on wartime recipes! This time in Art, our work will be focused on the work of Paul Nash and our RE work will be about the Sikh religion. Our Geography work will be about the local area. Since we’re excellent singers and performers, we’re going to learn some hip-hop songs this term as well as some slower ballads. In Science, Year Four will be studying sound and electricity while Year Five learn about space and forces.
In Summer, Year Four and Five will be studying different topics in History (Year Four will look at how the past has shaped our life today, and Year Five will look at how life has changed since 1950), but we’ll be working as a whole class for Geography when we will be studying the USA. In Science, we’ll all be working on different aspects of living things, with Year Five also looking at the achievements of famous scientists. We’re going to be using textiles in our Design and Technology lessons to create a mobile phone case and we’re going to reproduce and reinvent some of the work of Roy Lichenstein and Andy Warhol in Art. We will be learning about the religion of Islam in RE too. We’re going to have a great time learning some classic Motown songs in Music and we’ll be working on the topic of ‘travel’ in French. In our English work we’ll be looking at texts that involve a dilemma and a book based in America. We’ll also be looking at playscripts.
I’m very excited for all of the learning we’re going to do this year and I can’t wait to see the work we produce!
- PE will usually be on a Wednesday. Children should come to school in their PE kit on that day and ensure any ear-rings are removed or taped over.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- Due to the continued situation with COVID-19 we are asking children not to bring bags or items from home into school.
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- At present we are unable to send reading books home, please continue to encourage your child to read at least 3 times per week.
- From September 2020 we will be using Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. For more information please click here
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here