Welcome to class 7.
Welcome to Class 7. We are a Year 3 class and our teacher is Miss Elwick. We are looking forward to having a great year together, with lots of new challenges.
During our first term we will be considering the question ‘Who first lived in Britain?’ In this topic we will be particularly focusing on Stone Age civilizations as part of our history work and making models of stone age dwellings. We will be using maps, atlases and compass points to locate different parts of the UK and learning how to use grid references as part of our geography work. In English we will be reading traditional tales like Hansel and Gretel as well as stories from a historical setting like ‘Stone Age Boy’. We will also read some poetry by Roald Dahl and use illustrations from his books as a stimulus for our artwork.
Our Spring topic will be ‘How did the Roman Empire Change Britain?’ In History we will be looking at how the Romans were so powerful, and what we have learnt from them. We will investigate designs for Roman catapults and mosaics and have a go at making our own. As part of our Geography work we will ask the question ‘What makes the Earth Angry’ and we will learn about the causes of earthquakes and volcanos. This will extend into our English work as we use non-fiction texts to research this topic and write our own information reports.
In the Summer term we will be wondering ‘What was life like in the North East during Anglo Saxon times?’ We will be discovering what archaeological evidence tells us about Anglo Saxon life including a study of Lindisfarne and the invasion of Vikings into our area. We will also be looking at Anglo Saxon recipes and investigating why bread is known as the ‘staff of life’ as part of our Design and Technology work. Our Geography work will focus on learning about the main features of a river and will include a study of rivers in our locality. We will continue reading and writing using different genres, but this term we will concentrate on contemporary fiction, including narratives like ‘The Dragonsitter’ and ‘Lost Happy Endings’.
- PE will usually be on a Friday. Children should come to school in their PE kit on that day and ensure any ear-rings are removed or taped over.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- Due to the continued situation with COVID-19 we are asking children not to bring bags or items from home into school.
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- At present we are unable to send reading books home, please continue to encourage your child to read at least 3 times per week.
- From September 2020 we will be using Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. For more information please click here
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here