Welcome to Class 4.
We are a Year 1 and Year 2 class. Mrs McCoy and Mrs Sinclair work in our class. We all work together to create a positive and happy learning environment which encourages independence and resilience. We are looking forward to lots of exciting learning together in our new classroom!
During the Autumn term, our history topic is ‘Who was the First Person to Walk on the Moon?’ This exciting topic will take us on a journey through space, learning about the adventures of Neil Armstrong and Tim Peake and the Apollo 11 mission. For Design and Technology, we will get the chance to design and make our very own rocket! In English, we will be reading books by the author Beatrix Potter where we will learn about the adventures of Peter Rabbit and his friends. We will also be reading stories by Oliver Jeffers including Lost and Found. In Science Y1 will be exploring our five senses and Y2 will be finding out how we can keep our body healthy. Our Geography work will include learning about the world and which places are hot and cold for Year 1, and finding out what makes County Durham so special for Year 2.
In the Spring term, our history topic is ‘Why did London burn in 1666?’ This topic will involve learning about the events of the Great Fire of London and understanding why this was such an important event in British history. We will be using Samuel Pepys’ diary to learn how it spread and how it finally stopped. We will share stories such as The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark and Man on the Moon in English. Our Science work will focus on materials and why they are used for different purposes. In Geography, we will be looking at the different seasons and how weather changes in Year 1 and in Year 2 we will be comparing places in Africa to the UK. We will learn how to mix different colours to show the different seasons in our art work.
Our final history topic of the year during the Summer term is ‘What makes a Heroine?’ We will explore the reasons why Mary Seacole, Grace Darling and Amelia Earhart are heroines and will make comparisons between them. In English, we will be reading the book The Lighthouse Keeper’s Lunch and for Design and Technology, we will get the chance to make our very own summer picnic. Our Science work will focus on plants and animals and their habitats. In Geography, we will be learning about different features – Year 1 will find out about Great Britain and Year 2 will focus their work on a local area. We will also learn about the work of the artist Vincent Van Gogh. What a busy year we have ahead of us!
- PE will usually be on a Thursday. Children should come to school in their PE kit on that day and ensure any ear-rings are removed or taped over.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- Due to the continued situation with COVID-19 we are asking children not to bring bags or items from home into school.
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- At present we are unable to send reading books home, please continue to encourage your child to read at least 3 times per week.
- From September 2020 we will be using Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. For more information please click here
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here