Welcome to Class 11
Welcome to Class 11. We are a Year 6 class and our teacher is Mrs Gilmour. We enjoy working hard and becoming confident learners who are excited by new challenges and opportunities.
Autumn: Our first topic answers the question: ‘What was the Windrush?’
In this topic we will learn about when and why people migrated to Britain from Caribbean countries and where the name ‘Windrush’ came from. We will talk about the experiences and contribution made by black people in Britain. In Geography we will locate the Caribbean on a map, name the islands of the Caribbean and learn about some key physical features of the Caribbean. Further links will be made in DT where we will learn the names of some popular Caribbean dishes and ingredients and create and refine a recipe of our own. Our art topic will investigate the work of the street artists Banksy and Keith Haring by creating an original artwork inspired by them! Questions we will consider in science include: ‘Could Spiderman really exist?’ and ‘How can you light up your life?’. In our English lessons we will be making links between our reading and writing, using extracts, short stories and longer novels including, ‘Malala: My Story of Standing Up for Girls’ Rights’ by Malala Yousafzai and ‘Clockwork’ by Philip Pullman.
Spring: Our Spring topic will be ‘The Victorians’.
In History we will be asking the question: Did Victorian children have any rights? We will create a Victorian toy in Design Technology and look at artwork from the Victorian period aiming to create an original piece inspired by the work of Georgia O’Keefe or William Morris. In contrast to Term One, in English we will be reading some powerful novels including ‘Street Child’ by Berlie Doherty. Our Geography work will include looking at why the rainforest is important to us all. In Science, we will take a look at how evolution explains how living things change over a long time and how they have come to be the way they are.
Summer: Our Summer topic is ‘Who were the Mayans and what can we learn from them?
We will be learning about who the Maya people were and where and when they lived. We will be using our knowledge of electrical circuits to make a game or card in Design Technology and use different media to create a self-portrait in the style of Frida Kahlo in Art. Our Geography will ask the question: How can we attract more visitors to the East Durham coastline? This will involve conducting a survey into how a local area could be improved. In English we will be reading some traditional children’s literature including ‘Rumplestiltskin and other Grimm Tales’ by Carol Anne Duffy.
- PE will usually be on a Tuesday. Children should come to school in their PE kit on that day and ensure any ear-rings are removed or taped over.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- Due to the continued situation with COVID-19 we are asking children not to bring bags or items from home into school.
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- At present we are unable to send reading books home, please continue to encourage your child to read at least 3 times per week.
- From September 2020 we will be using Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. For more information please click here
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here