Welcome to Class 10!
Welcome to class 10! The class teacher is Mrs Scollen. I am very excited to teach you as year 5 this year and we have some lovely books, topics and activities to look forward to this year.
In the Autumn term, we will be starting our history topic which explores Ancient Egypt and alongside this we will be making our very own Canopic jars in art! We will be finding out about the world’s time zones in our geography and how we get day and night. This links well with science as we will be finding out about Earth and Space, before moving onto ‘Growing up’. In English, we have some fantastic texts and media which we will be using – Alma, The Highwayman and Coraline– to write some wonderful descriptions and scary stories as well as There’s a Pharaoh in our Bath to link with Ancient Egypt.
In the Spring term, we will be finding out about World War II. We will be using this in our English also with some more amazing texts – Carrie’s War, Rose Blanche and FArTHER. We will also look at some extracts from Anne Frank’s Diary. In Science this term, we will be exploring forces and investigating properties and changes of materials. Our Geography will focus more on the local area and we will hopefully have lots of fieldwork opportunities. In art we will look at the artist Paul Nash and how his paintings deepen our understanding of war. Our DT will involve food this term, where we will make some WWII recipes using rationed ingredients.
In the Summer term, we will be thinking about more local history and how leisure, technology and entertainment has changed locally since the 1950s. From this, our DT will involve textiles/sewing where we will make a mobile phone case. Pop Art will be the focus in art where we will look at the artists, Andy Warhol and Roy Litchenstein. In English, we will be studying Firebird and Holes as texts and then looking also at playscripts. While reading Holes, we will also be learning about the USA, focusing on North America in our Geography lessons.
- PE will usually be on a Friday. Children should come to school in their PE kit on that day and ensure any ear-rings are removed or taped over.
- Please ensure your child’s name is inside all of their uniform including PE kit and shoes.
- Due to the continued situation with COVID-19 we are asking children not to bring bags or items from home into school.
- All children must bring a water bottle from home and take it home at night to clean and refill- please ensure names are on all bottles.
- At present we are unable to send reading books home, please continue to encourage your child to read at least 3 times per week.
- From September 2020 we will be using Class Dojo to set homework, award team points and communicate with parents. For more information please click here
- For further information about the homework your child will be set please click here