Dear Parents and Carers,
I write to you with an update of progress towards our reopening of the school. As you are aware we have been directed by government to begin the process of preparing to reopen school commencing on 1.6.2020. We have worked relentlessly to ensure the school conforms to government guidelines and is fully compliant and safe for the whole school community. This has required significant expenditure from the schools budget with the Thermo Imaging cameras alone costing in excess of £7,000.
Preparation for reopening has been an immense task and we are pleased to say we are well on our way with reorganisation. Guidance is however, being regularly updated and the remit for opening is widening. We have developed an extensive risk assessment and this has identified some areas of concern that we need to address before we can open. This risk assessment and return to school planning must be robustly completed and ratified by the whole governing body before we can open and welcome the children back.
Next week we will have the thermo imaging cameras installed, one in our reception area and one at the lower end of the heart space. Classrooms are being cleared and reorganised ready for pupils’ arrival. The pupil lists are completed as far as we can using the information we have been given by you.
We have had the climbing frame removed from the yard allowing more space for children to play. As you know this was at the end of its life anyway and would have been extremely expensive to reinstall. We intend to have class boxes of play equipment which stay with that group in their bubble.
We will have thermos plastic markings around the site to indicate where we need to stand. We will have notices to guide us to keep safe.
We are currently awaiting orders a wide range of necessary equipment including PPE which will be available to all staff. We also have on order lidded bins, wipes, anti bacterial sprays, door wedges, cloths, gel and soaps, signage, tape, barriers, screens and other necessary resources to ensure we are as safe as we possibly can be. As you can imagine the demand for these items is high and all schools across the country require these resources so there is a delay in delivery for some items.
We are looking at all procedures and amending our policies in line with the changes. We are ensuring all staff are aware of the guidance and understand the need to change the way we work.
Following discussion with the Governing Body we have agreed that are unable to open the school from the 1.6.2020. We are now working towards 8.6.20 as a revised reopening date. This will happen only if we feel we have put in all measures to keep the whole community safe.
This will allow us time for our deliveries to arrive and safety considerations to be fully implemented including staff training on new procedures. Should this new date change I will inform you in good time.
We hope you understand that this decision has not been made easily. We are very keen to begin our journey back to ‘normality’ as soon as is reasonably practicable. We do however, have to be confident that we are as safe as we can possibly be – only then will we re-open our school.
All being well, the same order of return will apply for our revised reopening timetable and I will write to you nearer the time to clarify which groups are coming in on which date. The home schooling will continue as it has been until the end of the school year. There will be no home schooling next week as it is half term.
As always please send me your comments via the ‘contact us’ page on the website. Thank you for your support and understanding in this matter. These are very trying times but we continue to care for our school community and put safety at the forefront of our decision making. Thank you all as always for your positive comments and encouragement.
I feel truly blessed to be working with this school community at this time. Your comments have inspired and motivated us all to keep going to ensure our children receive the absolute best we can offer.